Wildlife of Glacier National Park
Home to over 70 species of mammals, including grizzly bear, wolverine, gray wolf and lynx and 270 species of bird including the Golden Eagle,Glacier National Park has played host to human visitors for more than 10,000 years. The Native American Blackfeet occupied the plains to the east of the area whilst Salish and Kootenai inhabited the west traveling over the mountains to hunt in the east.
With over a million acres of forest, alpine meadows and mountain elevations up to the 10466 foot peak of Mount Cleveland it is no wonder that tribes ventured from near and far to vision quest in the area.
European explorers arrived initially in pursuit of pelts, then later for mining and settlement. The arrival of the Great Northern Railway in 1891 boosted both the local population and the number of visitors to the area and led to the area becoming designated a National Park in 1910.
Other Glacier Park related pages
For general park information such as maps, Web cams and bear safety information,
check the following park Internet links to help you find answers to your questions:
Bear information: http://www.nps.gov/glac/planyourvisit/bears.htm
Featured Gateway to Glacier National Park related businesses
- Historic Tamarack Lodge - Situated in a scenic mountain valley in the midst of the Montana Rockies, the Historic Tamarack... MORE INFO
- Izaak Walton Inn - Alongside the south side of Glacier National Park, the resort features a variety of summer and... MORE INFO
- Swan Mountain Snowmobiling - Swan Mountain Snowmobiling, located in the heart of Glacier Country, provides the best... MORE INFO
- Columbia Falls Area Chamber of Commerce - The western Gateway to Glacier National Park includes Columbia Falls and surrounding communities,... MORE INFO
- Dollar Rent A Car - Dollar Rent A Car has the ability to meet your needs anywhere in the... MORE INFO
- Flathead Anglers & Wild River Adventures - Since 1985 we have been outfitting whitewater rafting and guided fishing trips on the Middle Fork... MORE INFO
- Glacier Distilling Company - Craft distillery producing an array of whiskeys made from local Montana grains and brandy distilled... MORE INFO
- Glacier Guides and Montana Raft - Glacier Guides and Montana Raft is celebrating its 35th year of guiding Glacier National Park... MORE INFO
- Glacier Highland Resort - Lodging, provisions and hospitality at the gates of Glacier National Park For over 30 years, the... MORE INFO
- Glacier Raft Company - As the oldest rafting company in Montana, we've specialized in family whitewater adventures on the... MORE INFO
- Great Northern Whitewater - At Great Northern Whitewater, located just a mile from the West Glacier entrance to Glacier... MORE INFO