Gateway to Glacier National Park
Offering a range of facilities to compliment your trip to the area, Glacier National Park communities line US Highway 2. Lodging choices vary from camping and RV parks to motels, fully-equipped cabins, luxurious bed and breakfast establishments and vacation homes to rent. There are also numerous restaurants, bars, gift shops, equipment hire and tourist attractions, all steeped in the history of the area and framed by the outstanding views provided by the Rocky Mountains.
Other Glacier Park related pages
The city of Columbia Falls sits at the entrance to Bad Rock Canyon. The first township to be platted in the Flathead Valley, Columbia Falls has a history connected to the lumber industry in the Valley and remains as a family-oriented mountain community. Here you will find bars, restaurants and shopping facilities. There is also a water park and an outdoor community pool. Browse the Farmer's Market whilst listening to local musicians, zip down the slides at the water park, and enjoy a round of golf or a romantic meal for two. The tourist information center will ensure you are up-to-date on local events and amenities.
The community of Hungry Horse formed with the influx of workers arriving to work on the Hungry Horse Dam Project. Everywhere in this little community you will see evidence of the history of the dam, from the equipment on display along the roadside, to the names of businesses. Comprehensive information of the history, construction and workings of the dam is available at the Visitor Center located on the Dam itself.
The resulting reservoir is 34 miles long and it is possible to drive around its entire periphery. With various locations to camp, hunt, fish, or just stop and relax, it’s a great place to absorb the beauty of your surroundings. Nesting Bald Eagles can be spotted from the roadside and do not be surprised to see elk or bear. There are many opportunities to hike, and a number of campsites around the shores of the reservoir, some of which have boat launches for enjoying the water in the summer months.
Hungry Horse itself has a number of bars, restaurants, gift shops and antique stores to explore. You can also get groceries and gas at this location. Be sure to learn the history behind the name and learn about the legend of Bad Rock canyon!
Martin City was the original boomtown. Today it provides access to the reservoir, the Flathead National Forest and Desert Mountain trailhead (a favorite for snowmobiling in the Winter months).
Coram grew up around the railroad. Today, it has much more of a family atmosphere with activities such as a maze, mini-golf and gem panning with opportunities for dining, gift shopping, fun local bars and a whisky distillery.
Originally known as Belton, James.J Hill's Great Northern Railway brought visitors to alight the train here, ready to view the peaks of Glacier National Park. Today there are year-round opportunities for lodging, entertainment and recreation including river rafting, trail rides, restaurants and bars.
U.S. Highway 2 to East Glacier
Beyond the West Entrance, US Highway 2 winds through the mountains to the East side of the Park. The communities at Essex and Nyack Flats offer opportunities to stop and stay on your way through whether you are looking for somewhere new to fish or hunt, putting in to raft the river or checking out the wildlife at Goat Lick natural minerals.
Visit Polebridge, located north of Columbia Falls in the North Fork valley, and experience life as it was 100 years ago for the local remote communities. Without electricity, here you will find a single bar and a year-round mercantile containing an outstanding bakery and a welcome fire. From Polebridge you can access the Park from the west, visit Bowman and Kintla Lakes and experience unobstructed views of the peaks of Glacier National Park.
Featured Gateway to Glacier National Park related businesses
- Museum at Central School - The Museum is housed in the historic Central School building, which first opened its doors in... MORE INFO
- Northern Rockies Outfitters - In addition to guided fly fishing trips, we offer full service float trips, hiking and horseback... MORE INFO
- Northwest Montana Wedding & Event Professionals - Hire with confidence! Locate the best caterers, photographers, florists, planners, lodging and... MORE INFO
- Pointer Scenic Cruises - Pointer Scenic Cruises offers licensed and insured custom charter tours on Flathead Lake and to... MORE INFO
- Polson Chamber of Commerce - ... MORE INFO
- Rocky Mountain Bank - Rocky Mountain bank is a full-service community bank. We have always been passionate about... MORE INFO
- Sea Me Paddle Kayaking Tours - Sea Me Paddle offers guided sea kayaking tours along with kayak and stand up paddleboard rentals on... MORE INFO
- Summit Preparatory School - Summit Preparatory School is an accredited private non-profit therapeutic boarding school... MORE INFO
- Swan Mountain Snowmobiling - Swan Mountain Snowmobiling, located in the heart of Glacier Country, provides the best... MORE INFO
- The Outlaw Inn - The Outlaw Inn & Suites feature 230 beautifully appointed rooms of spacious comfort, located... MORE INFO
- Timbers Motel - A 40-room unique motel nestled in the timbers, three blocks from the Bigfork Village. This... MORE INFO
- Village Greens Golf Course - Village Greens Golf Club is home to some of the finest course conditions in the Flathead... MORE INFO
- Western Outdoor - Western Apparel... MORE INFO
- Wild River Adventures - Since 1985 we have been outfitting whitewater rafting and guided fishing trips on the Middle Fork... MORE INFO
- Wild Trout Adventures - Wild Trout Adventures is your source fishing around Glacier National Park. We are located in... MORE INFO
- WildHorse Island Boat Trips - Schedule your WildHorse Island Boat Trips™for a Picnic, Hike or Close up Viewing of Big Horn... MORE INFO
- America's Best Value Inn Port Polson Inn - A quaint hotel on the south end of Flathead lake with amazing... MORE INFO
- Artemis Acres Paint Horse Ranch - Artemis Acres Guest Ranch is a Western lodging and horseback riding facility nestled in the... MORE INFO
- Averill's Flathead Lake Lodge - Flathead Lake Lodge is a historic third generation family run and operated Guest Ranch located in... MORE INFO
- Avis Rent a Car - Avis makes it easier to travel the roads of Montana. We're located at the Glacier International... MORE INFO
- Bigfork Area Chamber of Commerce - Beautiful resort town on Flathead Lake. Recreation for everyone, art galleries, fine dining, live... MORE INFO
- Bigfork Center for the Performing Arts Foundation - The Bigfork Center for the Performing Arts houses the Bigfork Summer Playhouse during the months of... MORE INFO
- Bigfork Summer Playhouse - The Bigfork Summer Playhouse will celebrate its 57th Season of live professional theatre in 2016.... MORE INFO
- Buffalo Hill Golf Club - Montana golf can best be experienced by golfing twenty-seven holes at Buffalo Hill. The beauty and... MORE INFO
- Candlewycke Inn B&B - Lodge style B&B secluded on 10 wooded acres just minutes away from Flathead Lake, Glacier... MORE INFO
- Celebrate Event & Party Rental - At Celebrate Event & Party Rentals, every event is a big event. Whether it’s a 1,000... MORE INFO
- Crown of the Continent Guitar Foundation - Play with & learn from the world's greatest guitarists & teachers The Crown of the... MORE INFO
- Dayton Yacht Harbor - Dayton Yacht Harbor is a one hundred slip full-service marina in the small town of Dayton on the... MORE INFO
- Dollar Rent A Car - Dollar Rent A Car has the ability to meet your needs anywhere in the... MORE INFO
- Edgewater RV Resort and Motel - Seasonal RV park, including fully furnished cabins and condo rooms. Motel with 12 rooms lakeside.... MORE INFO
- Flathead Beacon - The Flathead Beacon Weekly Newspaper: 13,000 copies are printed & distributed... MORE INFO
- Flathead Lake Brewing Co. - Micro-Brewery & Restaurant Located in Beautiful Northwest Montana, on the east shore of Flathead... MORE INFO
- Flathead Lake Charters - Flathead Lake Charters offers half day, full day and twilight fishing charters - everything... MORE INFO
- Flathead Lake Monster Charters - Experience Counts Captain Tim Shattuck "The Mac Killer" has been fishing... MORE INFO
- Flathead National Forest - In the heart of the Rocky Mountains, west of the continental divide and just south of the... MORE INFO
- Flathead Travel Service - Flathead Travel Service is Montana's largest and most respected Full Service Travel Agency. Travel... MORE INFO
- Glacier Bank - ... MORE INFO
- Glacier Distilling Company - Craft distillery producing an array of whiskeys made from local Montana grains and brandy distilled... MORE INFO
- Glacier Guides and Montana Raft Co - For over 30 years we've offered family friendly adventures. Whether it is whitewater rafting,... MORE INFO
- Glacier Highland Resort - Lodging, provisions and hospitality at the gates of Glacier National Park For over 30 years, the... MORE INFO
- Glacier Park International Airport - Glacier Park International Airport Airline Code: FCA Airport ID: GPI www.iflyglacier.com... MORE INFO
- Glacier Raft Company - As the oldest rafting company in Montana, we've specialized in family whitewater adventures on the... MORE INFO
- Glacier Symphony and Chorale - Northwest Montana's award-winning symphony and chorale perform classical, holiday, and pops... MORE INFO
- Great Northern Whitewater - At Great Northern Whitewater, located just a mile from the West Glacier entrance to Glacier... MORE INFO
- Hockaday Museum of Art - The Hockaday Museum of Art is a fine arts museum, housed in a turn-of-the-century Carnegie Library... MORE INFO
- Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites - Kalispell - The hotel offers 30 2-room suites with wet bar, in addition to 81 standard rooms. With an upscale... MORE INFO
- Howe's Fishing / A Able Charters - Ice Fishing - Ice Fishing: Howe's Fishing/A Able Fishing Charters offers ice fishing in modern times.... MORE INFO
- Howe's Fishing / A Able Charters -Fishing - Whether it's fishing Flathead Lake, Montana for trophy Lake Trout (mackinaw), touring Flathead Lake... MORE INFO
- Imagination Station Toys - Classic Toys you loved as a child. Toys that teach and toys that are just plain FUN! Games,... MORE INFO
- Izaak Walton Inn - Alongside the south side of Glacier National Park, the resort features a variety of summer and... MORE INFO
- Kalispell Regional Healthcare - 310 Sunnyview Lane Kalispell, MT 59901 (406) 752-5111 Located in the heart of Northwestern... MORE INFO
- La Quinta Inn & Suites - Located in Kalispell, the hub of Montana's Flathead Valley, La Quinta Inn & Suites offers the... MORE INFO
- Lakeside Somers Chamber of Commerce - Local business information, travel guides and visitor assistance. Chamber Office Hours: Monday... MORE INFO
- Locations Montana Real Estate - Locations Montana Real Estate offers you the best resources for real estate industry related... MORE INFO
- Many Springs Flathead Lake Resort - Family owned & operated, intimate lakefront extended stay resort with 12 spacious units in... MORE INFO
- Miracle of America Museum - KID FRIENDLY and reasonable.The largest & most diversified in the state. Over 70 antique... MORE INFO
- Mo Fisch Charters - Fishing charters on Flathead Lake and Lake Kookanusa.... MORE INFO
- Motel 6 - All Motel 6 locations offer a list of outstanding hotel amenities; Kids Stay Free, Pets Welcome,... MORE INFO
- Mountain Lake Lodge - Spectacular views of Flathead Lake in Northwest Montana, the Bigfork Mountain Lake Lodge Hotel... MORE INFO