Flathead Valley Montana fishing and fly fishing
Anglers love the Flathead Valley. New anglers, children and fishing experts all will find plenty of choices for casting and catching. Flathead Lake and the North, Middle and South forks of the Flathead River are famous for their abundance of fish, but off the beaten path, many smaller lakes and streams offer excellent fishing opportunities as well.
The smaller spots are good for introducing children to the rewards of fishing. Don't know how to fish? A professional guide can teach you and your family the best ways to fish - and the best places, too. A professional can also teach you how to identify different fish species, how to "catch and release" safely, and many other valuable tips you can use for a lifetime of rewarding fishing.
Lion Lake, one mile from the town of Hungry Horse (just off U.S. Highway 2 on the way to Glacier National Park), is just one example of an easy-access lake that's perfect for taking children on their first fishing trip. Rainbow and west slope cutthroat trout are plentiful here, and the lake is open for fishing year-round. The daily limit is 10 trout.
Experience Montana fly fishing at its best in Glacier National Park, the Bob Marshall Wilderness and the National Forests, where you'll enjoy some of the world's finest scenery while you cast your line. You don't need a license to fish in Glacier National Park. To fish elsewhere, you can purchase a fishing license at most sporting goods stores and marinas. Some convenience stores also sell licenses.
Learn more here about fishing in:
- The Flathead National Forest
- The Flathead River
- Get a brochure on "Fishing Montana's Flathead Valley." This handy one-page brochure provides advice on fishing at 14 lakes and rivers, which ones are recommended for children and other new anglers, which lures and bait to use, how to catch and release, and where to call for more information.
Fishing related businesses
- Flathead Lake Charters - Flathead Lake Charters offers half day, full day and twilight fishing charters - everything...MORE INFO
- Flathead Lake Monster Charters - Experience Counts Captain Tim Shattuck "The Mac Killer" has been fishing...MORE INFO
- Flathead Living Magazine - Welcome to Flathead Living magazine, the premiere lifestyle and recreation publication of NW...MORE INFO
- Flathead National Forest - In the heart of the Rocky Mountains, west of the continental divide and just south of the...MORE INFO
- Glacier Raft Company - As the oldest rafting company in Montana, we've specialized in family whitewater adventures on the...MORE INFO
- Howe's Fishing / A Able Charters -Fishing - Whether it's fishing Flathead Lake, Montana for trophy Lake Trout (mackinaw), touring Flathead Lake...MORE INFO
- Imagination Station Toys - Classic Toys you loved as a child. Toys that teach and toys that are just plain FUN! Games,...MORE INFO
- Mo Fisch Charters - Fishing charters on Flathead Lake and Lake Kookanusa....MORE INFO
- Northern Rockies Outfitters - In addition to guided fly fishing trips, we offer full service float trips, hiking and horseback...MORE INFO
- Swan Mountain Outfitters - Swan Mountain Outfitters is a premier full service horseback based Montana outfitter. We are...MORE INFO
- Wild River Adventures - Since 1985 we have been outfitting whitewater rafting and guided fishing trips on the Middle Fork...MORE INFO
- Wild Trout Adventures - Wild Trout Adventures is your source fishing around Glacier National Park. We are located in...MORE INFO
Bookmark This Page! "Flathead Valley Montana fishing and fly fishing"