Bigfork is a charming community known as the art center of the Flathead Valley. Perched on the northeast corner of Flathead Lake, Bigfork has more than 50 eclectic shops, 25 restaurants and 13 art galleries.
This picturesque village is also home to the Bigfork Summer Playhouse - one of the Northwest's finest repertory theaters – as well as the Bigfork Art and Cultural Center, concerts in Everit Sliter Memorial Park on summer Sunday evenings, and the Bigfork Festival of the Arts in August. Each holiday season, community “elves” deck out the village in colored lights, fresh-cut greenery and hundreds of bright red bows, creating a festive holiday setting.
The "Village by the Bay" is sheltered in a sparkling blue bay where the swift waters of the Swan River flow into Flathead Lake, bringing kayakers from around the world to compete in the annual Whitewater Festival each spring. Bigfork offers spectacular views of the Swan Mountains that drop dramatically into the lake’s shores. The scenic Swan River Nature Trail provides easy hiking and biking just a few blocks from downtown, and the town’s close proximity to Jewel Basin Hiking Area and the Bob Marshall Wilderness make it a perfect starting point for outdoor recreation enthusiasts.
Bigfork’s Eagle Bend Golf Course is a 27-hole championship course located on the north shore of Flathead Lake, offering challenging golf and gorgeous views of the lake, the Swan Mountains and Glacier National Park. Eagle Bend is the only golf course to be rated #1 in Montana by Golf Digest for six consecutive years. Golf Digest also rates Eagle Bend in the top 50 in the United States.
This quaint Western village was chosen as "One of the 50 Great Towns of the West," designated as "One of the 100 Best Small Art Towns of the Nation," and was listed in National Geographic’s Guide to Small Town Escapes, which is no surprise given its gourmet restaurants, fun shops, local character, beautiful natural surroundings, and a host of outdoor activities.
Bigfork was founded in 1901, about the time the hydroelectric plant at the mouth of the Swan River was built to supply electricity for Kalispell. The town was platted by Everit Sliter, who was instrumental in the development of the community, serving as postmaster, running the town's first hotel and general store, and planting one of the first orchards. Bigfork Bay was a harbor for passenger and freight-hauling steamers that once navigated Flathead Lake.
Bigfork’s population is now about 1,400 and has become home for returning Montanans who left the state to build careers, as well as those seeking recreational second homes or permanent refuge from crowded and harried urban areas.
Featured Bigfork related businesses
- Averill's Flathead Lake Lodge - Flathead Lake Lodge is a historic third generation family run and operated Guest Ranch located in...MORE INFO
- Bigfork Area Chamber of Commerce - Beautiful resort town on Flathead Lake. Recreation for everyone, art galleries, fine dining, live...MORE INFO
- Bigfork Center for the Performing Arts Foundation - The Bigfork Center for the Performing Arts houses the Bigfork Summer Playhouse during the months of...MORE INFO
- Bigfork Summer Playhouse - The Bigfork Summer Playhouse will celebrate its 57th Season of live professional theatre in 2016....MORE INFO
- Candlewycke Inn B&B - Lodge style B&B secluded on 10 wooded acres just minutes away from Flathead Lake, Glacier...MORE INFO
- Crown of the Continent Guitar Foundation - Play with & learn from the world's greatest guitarists & teachers The Crown of the...MORE INFO
- Flathead Lake Brewing Co. - The Flathead Lake Brewing Company started in 2004 in Woods Bay, a small community five miles...MORE INFO
- Flathead Lake Charters - Flathead Lake Charters offers half day, full day and twilight fishing charters - everything...MORE INFO
- Howe's Fishing / A Able Charters - Ice Fishing - Ice Fishing: Howe's Fishing/A Able Fishing Charters offers ice fishing in modern times....MORE INFO
- Howe's Fishing / A Able Charters -Fishing - Whether it's fishing Flathead Lake, Montana for trophy Lake Trout (mackinaw), touring Flathead Lake...MORE INFO
- Locations Montana Real Estate - Locations Montana Real Estate offers you the best resources for real estate industry related...MORE INFO
- Many Springs Flathead Lake Resort - Family owned & operated, intimate lakefront extended stay resort with 12 spacious units in...MORE INFO
- Mountain Lake Lodge - Spectacular views of Flathead Lake in Northwest Montana, the Bigfork Mountain Lake Lodge Hotel...MORE INFO
- Pointer Scenic Cruises - Pointer Scenic Cruises offers licensed and insured custom charter tours on Flathead Lake and to...MORE INFO
- Rocky Mountain Bank - Rocky Mountain bank is a full-service community bank. We have always been passionate about...MORE INFO
- Timbers Motel - A 40-room unique motel nestled in the timbers, three blocks from the Bigfork Village. This...MORE INFO
- Wild Trout Adventures - Wild Trout Adventures is your source fishing around Glacier National Park. We are located in...MORE INFO
- WildHorse Island Boat Trips - Schedule your WildHorse Island Boat Trips™for a Picnic, Hike or Close up Viewing of Big Horn...MORE INFO